Monday, August 25, 2014

Stuttering Awareness Week - Adult Stutterer Decides to Outgrow Stuttering, Just as Many Normal Speakers Do in Childhood



Stuttering Awareness Week - Adult Stutterer Decides to Outgrow Stuttering, Just as Many Normal Speakers Do in Childhood


Stuttering Takeaways -
  • Learn to shift your thinking away from fear of stuttering.
  • Become more tolerant of your speaking difficulties, like normal speakers.
  • Learn to be more resilient to listener reactions.
A stutterer can learn to reduce their awareness of their speech to a level more near that of normal speakers. 

I can speak with authority, because I have stuttered since childhood. Today I have 80% fluency, and am very happy about that. 

To begin, the stutterer can consider the following:
  • Everyone stutters to some extent, but it does not bother him or her. Here is the big difference.
  • Stutterers are deeply troubled with all speech difficulties. Stutterers ruminate about past stuttering events. Stutterers fear future speaking situations.
  • Stutterers think about their speech much more than normal speakers.
  • Stutterers watch for listener reactions much more than normal speakers.
I went to many speech therapists in my life. I also learned self-help techniques.  What helped me the most, however, was realizing that my stuttering was a symptom of thinking and emotional troubles. 

Here is what has helped me.
  • I took ownership of how my body and mind works.I worked on my troublesome personality traits, such as:      
    • Perfectionistic
    • Overly sensitive
    • Overly reactive
    • Low self-esteem and confidence
  • I learned assertiveness skills.
  • I learned about the various stuttering therapy techniques. I picked a few of these tools to get through stuttering situations the easiest.
When I changed my irrational thinking, my stuttering improved, as well as many of my other life situations. 

For much of my life, I could not even say my own name without contortions. I squeezed out each word. I got tired of that, especially as an adult. I decided to grow out of stuttering, just as many normal speakers do in childhood. 

If I could improve my stuttering by 80%, you can too. 

For more information -
 
  Disclaimer - Article is for information only and is not medical advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment