Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Did You Slip or Relapse Again with Your Bad Habits?



Did You Slip or Relapse Again with Your Bad Habits?



I think depression and bad habits go hand in hand. A low mood brings out my bad habits. In addition, when I give in to these bad habits, my mood even decreases more. 

When I have a slip and do something unhealthy, my first thought is to keep on going. I figure now that I have slipped I might as well keep on going. All is lost. The day is shot. I might as well go all out with the bad habit. 

I have learned that bad habits are called bad for a good reason. They do not make me feel good and sometimes these habits adversely affect my health. Once started, it is a downward spiral, physically and emotionally. 

A few other things I have learned are:
  • Everyone has bad habits of some sort, e.g. overeating, binge drinking, overworking, etc.
  • Many people have slips with their bad habits.
  • If I slip, I do not have to keep on slipping all over the place. I can physically stop and regroup my thoughts. Then, I can start over, no matter what time of the day or night.
  • I can learn from my slip and try to do better next time, but I will never do it perfectly. If I try to stop my bad habit altogether, it only gets worse, or I go onto another bad habit. Switching addictions is not good either. I might as well just get used to doing life as best as I can.
  • By giving myself a break, my bad habits do not bother me as much as if I try to do it perfectly.
Takeaways -
1. Everyone has bad habits.
2. Many people have slips with their bad habits, despite all their best efforts.
3. A person can stop doing the bad habit, mentally reset, and start over again.
4. If a person tries to stop one bad habit altogether, the urge for comfort might sprout up as another bad habit. Switching bad habits or addictions is not good either. Give yourself a break and do life as best as you can. Realize you have a tendency toward bad habits, and live life as best as you can. 

For more information -
Disclaimer - Article is for informational purposes and is not medical advice. Seek professional help if you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment