Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Depression Relief Tip – Just Get Up and Go!



Can't Seem to Get Going? - Depression Relief Tip – Just Get Up and Go!


When I am in a low mood, everything is an effort. They used to say years ago, something like "my get-up and go just got up and went". 

Sometimes I become stuck just daydreaming out the window. I have learned that daydreaming is normal and beneficial to a certain extent. My daydreaming can come in many forms, e.g. channel surfing, internet surfing, etc. I have also learned that I do not get anything done by looking out the window for an extended period. The work that I really want to do, like writing, goes untouched. Jobs still need to done. Then is the when I am headed for trouble. From experience, I have learned that if I allow myself to just sit and think, that is all I continue doing. Then I feel bad later. 

What has helped me to get up and go is to do the following:

1. Give myself a time limit on daydreaming. It is enjoyable, but too much of a good thing is not good either. For example, I might say to myself, five more minutes then we get up and go.
2. The hard part is actually getting up and going. Sometimes it comes easy, sometimes not. When I am really stuck, I actually count my footsteps as I walk to the next place. For example, getting up from my chair and going to the sink is about five steps, I have found.
3. Once I am up, I am usually okay and keep on going. If I want to go back to being stuck, I have to be firm with myself. I might actually say to myself - Let's go do something else. We can daydream again later. 

Takeaways -

1. It is okay to daydream - a little. It is okay to get something done too.
2. Just get up and go whatever it takes. You can always go back and rest, if you need to, once you have done something.
3. That is how you accomplish things. When you accomplish things, even small things, you feel better. 

For more information -
Disclaimer - Article is for informational purposes and is not medical advice. Seek professional help if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment