Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Depression Relief Tip – Go for a Walk



Are You Bewildered and Confused? Do You Have Muddled Thinking? - Depression Relief Tip – Go for a Walk


"When in doubt, go for a walk." - I heard this advice from a friend long time ago, and it has served me well, when I am stuck. Sometimes, I just sit and think too much. I think about all the things I should be doing. I also think about how much effort it would take to do those things. I also think of all the variations of the choices I have to make. My mind just shuts down and I sit. That is when I remember my friends' words, "When in doubt, go for a walk", and I go for a walk. 

This wisdom has helped me in several ways: 

1. In searching on the Internet for this quote, I found others who do not know what to do next. They might have tried everything and did not know what to do next. Others had muddled thinking that I guess is sometimes normal, from what I read.
2. These words give me something to do. I can walk. Maybe I cannot fix the problem troubling me, but I can walk. I can walk slowly or I can walk fast. That is something I can do to help myself from being stuck.
3. Through time, I have learned that this is sound advice. It works! Many times, I have started walking slowly, just looking down at the ground, and maybe talking to myself. After about 10 minutes, my eyes start to look around. Isn't that tree interesting, I might think? Some moments later, I notice bird sounds or traffic sounds. My mind was blocked from seeing and hearing these things. My pace gets a little faster. My arms swing a little. I start feeling better. My mind is clearing. I can feel it. Then I get tired and end my walk. I might not have the answer I was looking for, but I do feel better. Maybe the answer will come later. At least, I have grumbled enough on the first part of my walk that the universe sure knows about it! Maybe good things will come of it. I can hope. 

Takeaways -
1. When stuck in life, consider going for a walk.
2. If you cannot walk, then crawl. If you cannot move anything at all, imagine walking. The main thing is to do something physical and let your mind rest for a while. You do not have to think all the time.
3. Maybe the answer will come or maybe not, but at least you will probably feel better.
For more information -
Disclaimer - Article is for informational purposes and is not medical advice. Seek professional help if you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment